Monday, April 7, 2014

Kangaroo Paws - A Meditation




 The other day I spotted, quite obviously lit by the bright sun, a large sprawling tangle of red plant landscaping along the front of an apartment complex in Sherman Oaks, as I was walking toward the entrance on my way to see a friend. I stopped for what I thought would be a moment to do one photo, but stayed on quite a bit longer, becoming lost in the odd beauty of it all.

When starting to post the finished images, I had no idea what the red plants were, so I posted the above image on Facebook, asking if anyone knew what it was called. Replies came as "cat's paw", "elk horn" as well as well as "red kangaroo paw" accompanied by a photo looking exactly like the flora of mine. Another response agreed, saying it is the nickname, but didn't know it's official calling.
Another responded that the plant's origin is Australia, and someone added it is poisonous.

So there was that. I then decided to see what a kangaroo's paw actually looks like. So there you have it:  An explanation from the mind for what was an experience of my eyes and heart.
A bit of Nature's beauty became a portal for a visual meditation in the moment, and later, was translated into more of the essence I felt about it's presence.







Photographs © Ellen Giamportone 2014. All rights reserved.

No comments: