Saturday, July 19, 2014

Drive-by iPhone Shootings - (Culver City) Los Angeles

In the late 80's into the 90's I did a series with the title "Drive-By Shootings."  Since I was not a gang-banger, these were actually photos shot with my 35mm camera from my car as I was driving. During those years, I also often used a very simple, plastic,  toy camera that came from Japan, known as a Banner, to make images. It was a variation of the more popular Diana or Holga variety.

Lately, I've been primarily using my iPhone5 for making images.

Last month I was riding shotgun (pun intended) in a friend's car when she was running an errand in Culver City, a section of town that is beginning to be gentrified, but still has older neighborhoods behind the commercial areas and media studios.

Starting with the Hipstmatic app on my phone, I photographed as we drove, and converted them within another app I use almost exclusively for post production.

These images are the result of a mash up of the past series, with the visual sensibilities of an old toy camera, created with the new technology of a smart phone... which for me is like using an updated toy camera.










 Photographs © Ellen Giamportone All rights reserved.2014

No comments: